As I was walking back from lunch, albeit a tad bit briskly because I had taken a bit longer than anticipated, I spotted a young guy on the sidewalk with a clipboard. This can only mean one thing - a canvasser. I had been stopped on numerous occasions by Greenpeace (www.greenpeace.org/USA) asking for a minute of my time, most likely about 30 seconds of that minute was going to be focused on donating money. When these people accost me on the street I am usually running late for the bus and don't have time. I also feel so incredibly guilty about not giving them money that I try to avoid them at all costs.
This guy happened to be holding a clipboard from CARE (www.care.org), not Greenpeace. I was in a pretty good mood after my lunch out, so didn't try to avoid the guy as much as I usually do. What does this mean? I got stopped. What is even more surprising is that this "stop" happened to turn into my spot of happiness. How is that? Let me explain.
I am actually very familiar with CARE and really respect the work that they do. I think they are a great organization and one I would work for if ever offered a job there. This made the stop a whole lot more enjoyable than had I been stopped by say, an anti-abortion organization. However, what really made this entire encounter my spot of happiness, was the fact that they guy doing the canvassing and engaging me in a conversation had just received his nomination for the Peace Corps (www.peacecorps.gov). Yes, as you will eventually find out, I LOVE the Peace Corps - most likely because I was a Peace Corps volunteer. So, this led to a long discussion of my Peace Corps experience, what I was doing now, advice I had to give, etc. The guy was most likely headed to sub-Saharan Africa to do HIV work (which I did, but I was in Honduras) and was quite excited about it. And just running into a future Peace Corps volunteer randomly, when I was expecting a CARE representative asking for money and making me feel guilty, made my day (don't worry CARE, he did ask for money but not incessantly). As I continued on back to work (even more briskly becaues now I was REALLY late), I had a huge smile on my face. I love meeting random strangers and having a good unexpected conversation. It can sure brighten up the day.
Now a bit more...for those of you inclided to continue reading:
This whole Peace Corps business got me thinking about the "social networks" that exist outside of the internet (Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc.) and how being involved in certain networks can really create a bond where nothing existed previously. There are some networks that we are in by default, like when you meet someone from your hometown when you are far away, or when you are traveling abroad and meet a fellow American, or when you run into someone that went to your college, etc. However, there are a few more illusive ones that require a bit more work to gain membership. I consider myself lucky to be included in a few of these spectacular networks (nothing so spectacular as say the Freemasons or Skull and Bones, but spectacular ones in their own right) - which I have decided to list and discuss below.
- Peace Corps
Being a Peace Corps volunteer pretty much makes you a super cool person. Whenever I mention that I did Peace Corps (which unfortunately I do often because I'm a blabber mouth), people always ask questions. The best thing, though, is when I run into other RPCVs (Returned Peace Corps Volunteers). Most often than not, we will become fast friends because of our shared Peace Corps experience. I love this.
- Runner
When I use the term runner - I am not referring to going jogging every once in a while. I am referring to RUNNERS, a characteristic trait. I admit, I am not the best runner on the planet, nor the most skilled or dedicated. However, I have put in my miles and have enough experiences behind me to hold up a good conversation when I meet a fellow runner. Running is a great thing to have in common with someone and I always love it when I run into someone that runs and we can chat about races we've done and if I'm lucky, go on a few runs together. The good thing about other runners is you don't have to know them to hang out with them. I have gone running with numerous people I have never met. You just meet them, find out they run, then set up a time to head out. This mostly happens when I am traveling for work or am out of my neighborhood. For some reason I don't usually make running dates with people I "run" into at my local bank. Not sure why - could sure use a running partner.
- Military Brat
Membership in this group is pretty dependent on your parents, and it hasn't turned out to be such a sure thing as the above two groups. I have discovered that being a military brat is only useful for making friends when I meet people who were stationed overseas for most of their childhood. I guess growing up in the military but living in the US is not much of a bonder. However, those of us who spent numerous years of our childhood on military basis is say Japan, Italy, Greece, Germany, etc. have many uniting experiences to share and a certain amount of respect for each other. There are certain things only other overseas military brats will understand - like DODDS, Sears catelogues, how getting your ID card was so much more exciting than your driver's licensce, etc.
- Woman's College
Now, this hasn't proven to be fullproof, but occassionally I meet people who have attended woman's colleges (as I did), and it can be a great bonder. Women who went to all-woman colleges have something in common: they went to all-woman's colleges. Yup - that's it. However, a small percentage of that group went to said colleges where they learned how to believe in themselves, speak up, and carry themselves with confidence. Others went there because the parents made them - I usually have nothing in common with them.
Ok, I think I have gone on for a VERY long time. This spot of happiness gave me a lot to think about. If you are still reading this blog: CONGRATULATIONS, you have reached the end!



No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments make me smile....