Tuesday, August 23

Earthquakes and other messes

I’m sure by now everyone and their mother knows about the earthquake in Virginia this afternoon.  Even hubs’s family in Honduras called to make sure we were ok.  At first I thought we were getting bombed (growing up in the military overseas obviously had an affect on me), but then when I realized it was “just” an earthquake I sat back down at my desk and continued working. People evacuated the building but I didn’t really think it was that serious.  I was a bit surprised that was a 5.8 on the Richter scale – it definitely didn’t feel that big.  Nothing fell off my shelved or walls, which usually is a clue.  I did head to the doorway though – a habit born of my childhood in Japan (where earthquakes are quite common).  And hey, you never know how sturdy the building you are in is.

I think the bigger deal was trying to get out of DC!  I waited for over an hour for a bus and during that hour more than three buses passed that were too full to take on more people.  My bus friend had already texted me and we stocked up on snackies.  Luckily I had brought the DVD player and a Netflix movie I had been waiting to see – Easy A – so our entertainment was ready.

On my way to the bus I stopped by a corner market and bought some yummy snacks.  My friend doesn’t eat sugar or flour so I had to make sure nothing was made with flour or sugar – here is what I ended up with:

DSCN0810

What you don’t see is the bag of peach gummy candy I bought and ate all by myself.  I ate it before I had a chance to take a photo.  I can’t control myself around gummy candies!

When a bus finally arrived with space we were so happy!  We could get out of DC!!!  For a short while we thought we might have to stay the night – the metro was mega slow and the train was majorly delayed and the busses seemed to be full.  But alas, a bus finally came by and traffic was pretty clear (because by now everyone had already fled the city!).  We got home so fast we didn’t finish the movie!

Since I still had some time, I decided to stop by the college bookstore on my way home and buy my Anatomy and Physiology textbooks. 

DSCN0809

I was afraid it would be really crowded since classes start on Friday but there was no one there!  I grabbed my books, shed a few tears at how EXPENSIVE they were, paid, and struggled to carry them to the car.  I obviously need to lift a few weights.

I am excited to be heading back to school and even let myself buy a few new school supplies.

DSCN0812

I LOVE school supplies and the feeling of fall.  I’ll do a separate blog post on my love of fall, but I always have a nice feeling in my heart when it comes to going back to school.  Such anticipation and excitement and newness.  However, it’s not quite as exciting when I’m only taking one class and I still have to go to work and stuff.  I am happy to see my school friends again though!

Ok, better wrap it up – hubby wants me to shut off the computer and go to bed so I stop complaining about how tired I am!!!

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear you are okay! You understand to make the best of a bad situation:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that the earthquake didn't have much of an effect on you and yours! We felt it all the way up here in Toronto, LOL... although it just felt like a little wiggle underneath the floor, like I was surfing in my house, for about 5 seconds.

    Good luck with school! I am a little envious and nostalgic... I just finished my post-grad program last week and it's a little funny to be just finished when everyone else is heading back! I keep thinking about a new crop of students in MY COMPUTER LAB, and I remember what it was like last September when I started.

    Do keep us in the loop on your studies!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....