Tuesday, July 3

Home Sweet Home

And just like that, the move is over.  What a feeling of relief.  Until I look around the place and see 900 boxes and realize that I have to find some place to put everything.  Some of it's easy - like the kitchen.  So, I organized the kitchen first.  It's pretty simple because in the kitchen there is a place for everything.  I started the bedroom next - that's pretty simple too.  At least the clothes are - they go in a closet or a dresser.  Not too hard to figure out.  Actually the first thing that was done was the bathroom.  Hang up some shower curtains, put a few bathroom rugs down, and you've got a nice looking bathroom.

Unless the bathroom exhaust fan cover falls on top of you.  Then you have a mess everywhere (because who ever cleans the bathroom exhaust fan?????).  And then you end up running to Lowes to buy a new fan motor and cover and your husband figures out how to remove the motor and install a new one.  And cleans all the crap that has probably been sitting in there for decades.  Gross.  And then while you're at Lowes you decide you want a new shower head (the fun fancy kind that feels like rain) and some towel racks.

You also want some new medicine cabinets and a new sink because the ones in the apartment are rusty, dirty, and over 20 years old.  However you can't install those, so you leave them there.  You also don't buy the really nice stove to replace the crappy (and very uncleaned) one still in the house.

Ok, so maybe the bathroom isn't the easiest thing in the world.  But for the most part it's almost done.  The rest of the junk is piled between the living room and dining room.


The pile of stuff that is hard to put away!

But notice the dining room furniture!  We finally got it from my friend's house.  About three years ago a friend of mine was moving and didn't need her dining room table and chairs.  She said we could have it but I was living with my sister at the time so I didn't have any place to put it.  My friend Sarah didn't have a dining room table so we just stored it at her place.  When we moved into our apartment last year we planned on getting it but she was out of town that day so we couldn't run over with the truck and pick it up.  We kept meaning to get it but an entire year passed and we never did.  But, during this move, we made a point to run over there and pick it up.  So now we have a place to eat!  And the best thing???  You can't see the TV from the dining room!!!  Now all I have to do is break my husband from the habit of watching television while we're eating dinner.  Since he's had two years to build the habit, it could be tough.

Last night my sister and her family came over to see the place.  They had *conveniently* been at the beach during our moving weekend and hadn't seen the new place.  All my nieces wanted to do was tackle hubs. 

Hubs actually loves to be tackled!

And then there was some crazy hair going on.

It's all about our hair.

So that was the move.  The new apartment has a lot more space than the old one did, but it's not in as great of condition (hence the bathroom exhaust fan falling from the ceiling).  Plus, it wasn't as cleaned as it should have been, especially since I left my old apartment spotless.  I mean, there were dirty dishes in the sink!  How can you say you thoroughly cleaned the place if there were dirty dishes in the sink????  And razor hair in the medicine cabinet?  Umm, yeah.  But I am excited about making the place our own.  And I am really hoping to not move again for a bit.

And eventually I have to get to the grocery store so I don't have to eat sandwich butts!

I love a good butt!

When was the last time you moved??


What part of moving do you hate the most - packing, moving the boxes, or unpacking?


Do you ever eat the butts of the bread or do you throw them out?


How many nieces or nephews do you have?

2 comments:

  1. I love the post - I was hoping for a picture or two of the new place. I loved your Lowe's story - isn't that the way that store always goes?? It sounded like "If you give a mouse a cookie..." :-) I am happy for you that it's over and excited to see pictures of the nursery!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post pictures as soon as things get more organized. Stuff is still kinda all over the place. My plan is to get some of it put away today since it's a holiday and I don't have to work. We'll see how much I can get done! There is no nursery yet - just a crib and a sheet as a curtain. I will have to work on that soon though - otherwise the kid will be five and I'll still be decorating it!

      Delete

Your comments make me smile....