Wednesday, September 16

Day 7 of Happiness: Pey-time

Ahhh, my adorable niece Peyton. 


It was inevitable that she was going to be a spot of happiness one of these days.  She's just a buddle of happiness herself, so of course she spreads it around like sunshine. 


When people found out that I was going to be an aunt, pretty much everyone said I would love it.  And they were correct.  What is there not to love - all the fun, none of the dirty work.  It's even better when you are a live-in aunt like myself.  I get to see Peyton all the time, help feed her, hold her, take her for runs (ok, I only did that once), and can easily pass on things like dirty diapers, nighttime feedings, pumping, or screaming baby in the middle of the night.  It's like being the dad - except that no one gets mad when I pass on the dirty diaper.  I'm beginning to think that instead of having my own kids, I'll just rely on my sister reproducing (haha, just kidding Melissa!).


So, what is my specific spot of happiness for today?  

Well, Peyton and I are getting into a mini-routine in the morning.  At 6:15am, I head upstairs to blow-dry my hair and brush my teeth before racing out the door at 6:25am.  For the past couple of weeks, after I finished this bathroom routine, I'd head over to Peyton's room, pick her up out of the crib, and bring her to my sister's room.  She is usually awake by then and sitting up talking to herself. Since I get home from work late, there are times she's already asleep when I finally drag myself in the front door after a long day of work.  This way, I at least get to hold her for five minutes in the morning.



Well, today, after blow-drying my hair, I open the bathroom door to let out some of the hot air.  As I get ready to brush my teeth, I hear Peyton giggling in her room.  I look over and through the crack in the door, I see her staring at me.  When we make eye contact she throws her arms up into the air and gets all excited.  It was too cute to ignore, so I headed in there and picked her up before brushing my teeth.  What a cutie! 

Early mornings are the best time to pick babies up - they are still cuddly from the morning, nice and warm from sleeping, and always happy to see you (as long as they slept well).  So, with warm little Peyton in my arms, I finished brushing my teeth and then handed her over to her mommy.  Her excitement at seeing me in the morning, all ready for me to come rescue her from her crib, made me smile.



Happiness is contagious (or so says this NY Times article from 13 Sept. 2009).  Seeing a happy, smiling baby makes my early mornings seem a little less early.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile....