Monday, September 28

Day 13 of Happiness: Such a Simple Statement

OH NO - DAY 13!

I thought about skipping 13, as many hotels, elevators, and even streets do - but I decided to test my luck and see what happens.  Plus, if I skipped Day 13 - then would I have to count up to 366 Days of Happiness, to make up for the lost Day 13?  It was too confusing.  I am moving on.  I am having a Day 13.  And here it is.

On the weekends for the past year I have been teaching golf to kids.  It looks a little similar to the photo.  It's a hoot, albeit dangerous at times - just imagine 5 year olds with golf clubs....  Up until this season I'd had two classes - a 7 year old class and an 11 year old class.  Both classes were exclusively girls - my favorite.  This time around I have one class of 5-6 year olds (both boys and girls) and another glass of beginning girls (ages 7-17 - yeah, a bit difficult to teach all together).  Don't worry, I don't teach these classes alone for the most part - there are numerous other coaches with me.

These classes are usually fun, but always stress me out.  Why?  Because I'm not a golfer.  I'm a runner.  I learned to golf a few years ago.  Regardless of the fact that I had private lessons along with group lessons for a good 3 months, I'm still not great.  My technique is ok, but the skills you learn from golfing frequently have not stuck with me - things like the rules, which club to use where, proper golf terminology, etc.  Anyway, I usually teach beginners so it hasn't been too big a deal. 

 
Well, this lack of golf expertise has led to a feeling of inadequacy.  I never feel like my classes compare to the classes of say, my brother-in-law.  He's been golfing and teaching forever - he can do it with his eyes closed.  When I first started I spent hours preparing lesson plans and putting games - he just showed up and knew what to do.  I am a bit better now.  I have a closet full of putting and chipping games, review games to practice the Code of Conduct, etc.  However, I wouldn't say that I'm completely comfortable up there in front of the girls.  I swear some of these 7 year old golfers are WAAAY better than I am.

So, what exactly is my spot of happiness?  Well, at the end of the class I bring the younger girls inside for a "Life Skills" lesson on being polite, respecting others, etc.  Usually I try to teach them these skills through some sort of game or activity - because, let's face it, what 7 year old is excited about learning the word courtesy???  So, as I'm up in front of the class, reviewing the word of the day, one of the girls stands up and says, "I know this.  I learned it already."  Well, this particular girl had taken a class with me in the spring.  The same class, with the same words, etc (unfortunately, the content of the classes are fixed).  You can't move up until you are old enough, so some of the girls have been in my class numerous times.  So, I respond by saying in a smiling voice, "Yes, I know.  You were in my class last spring and now you're stuck with me again."  I really had the impression that she was complaining about having to learn everything all over again - as a 7 year old would.  But then, to my surprise she said:

"Stuck?  I'm not stuck.  I wanted to be in your class."

Wow.
  I felt so special.  She actually wanted to be in my class.  Nothing like a confidence booster from a kid.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile....