Friday, January 22

Day 52 of Happiness: Te Amo Como a Nadie





I'm sitting here at the Portland International Airport waiting for my co-worker's plane to come in and happily discovered that they have free wireless.  What a pleasant surprise, especially since I am SO far behind on my blog.  My life has changed so dramatically (or so if feels) that I haven't completely adjusted.  I have to find a new routine, a new way of doing things, so until I do that things are kind of sporadic.  

The past week has been amazing.  I can't believe Ivan's been here for an entire week.  There have been so many spots of happiness that I can't even count them - and I just haven't found enough time to record them all.  So, I've been neglecting you (all ten of you that read my blog on a regular basis).  So, I'll try and re-cap all the spots I've had and give you a little picture in to my new life.

Ivan's first week in the US was so fun (for me at least, probably a bit overwhelming for him).  It was amazing getting on the plane in Honduras and having him actually accompany me.  Usually I leave him behind and am sitting on the plane, sad, wondering when the next time I'll see him will be.  This time - he was right next to me.  And, I got to experience his first "in-the-air" adventure.  He was way less scared than I was.  We didn't get home until really late, so he didn't get to see anything except the bathroom and bedroom in my house.  Oh, but my sister did come in and give him a welcome hug.  I think he was still a little in shock that he was actually in the US.  I have to admit, I was a bit in shock too.  I think I still am.

Adjustment has been hard.  That first week was a bit of craziness with my mom flying in the day after we got home, then celebrating Peyton's first birthday, then my dad, aunt, uncle, and my parents' two dogs coming on Friday night, then my friend's son's first birthday party Saturday morning, then Peyton's birthday party Saturday afternoon, then my bridal shower on Sunday.  I know - SO MANY ACTIVITIES!!  But so many good things too.  My family seemed to get along well with Ivan - he fit right in with my dad and uncle (like I knew he would).  He laughed at their craziness and appreciated my uncle's attempt to speak Spanish.  My dad took him to buy a suit for the wedding - which was super nice.  Men's Warehouse was having a sale so Ivan got two suits to be exact.  I don't think Ivan knew what to do.  He's never had a suit.  He'd never had anyone waiting on him.  It was a great male-bonding activity.  Then my dad spent half an hour teaching him how to tie a tie.  It made me smile.  


{ivan getting fitted for a suit}

We took nightly walks with my uncle - however short they were.  My uncle taught him how to say "Good morning beautiful" in English to me every morning.  And how to run down the street and jump and click his heels together.  Good times.

Everyone's been really great in looking out for him and making him feel welcome.  My brother-in-law took him to the driving range and taught him how to hit golf balls, my sister's father-in-law has let him go up to the golf course and help out (since he can't work until we're married), my friends are taking him out to eat while I'm in Portland (yes, after being here a week I have to leave him alone for four days while I go to Portland - and then again next weekend too).  My sister's been cooking dinner and letting him play with Peyton.  It's such a nice feeling.

And some of the things I was worried about haven't been as bad - like food.  I was pretty terrified that the only thing he'd want to eat were beans and tortillas.  However, he's LOVED everything we've eaten (even the calzones which I was sure he'd hate since he doesn't like pizza).  He's gone back for seconds many times.  And he hasn't asked about tortillas at all.  Every once in a while when I'm home I make him a large Honduran breakfast of scrambled eggs with tomatoes, refried beans, fried plantains, sausage, and tortillas - but that's not often.  I've been pleasantly surprised about his non-pickiness when it comes to food.  Although he's been bugging me about eating fried chicken - his ultimate favorite.

I can't say that everything has been easy.  On his second night here I saw a few tears slowing roll down his cheek after talking to his aunt on the phone.  I know how alone he must feel because I've been there, and I feel incredibly guilty sometimes because he gave up his entire world to be with me.  He's surrounded by a culture he doesn't understand, a language he can't grasp, and I'm the only thing he knows.  And I'm different.  I work from 6:30am until 6:30pm and when I get home I'm tired.  It's not like Peace Corps where everything was relaxed and fun - this is the real world and I'm super stressed about him and money and work and life in general.  I have a TON of travel coming up and I'm leaving him alone with my sister and her husband - neither of whom speak a word of Spanish.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that one day he loves it here.  That one day this feels like home to him too.

So, that's pretty much it in a nutshell.  I'm sure I'll have a ton of stories to tell you as time goes on.  Like how proud he was when he made the bed just the way I like it.  I was surprised at how sad I was leaving him today.  We've only been together for a little over a week and now we're apart again.  But, at least I know for how long.  And it's nice to have someone at home waiting for me, and just me.  As hard as it is, I love this new life of mine.

3 comments:

  1. WOW. it must be so exhilarating and terrifying for both you and ivan! it is amazing the way your family has come together to welcome him and try to make him feel at home. and i think the flurry of activity, as stressful as it may be, is probably the best way to get him acquainted with his new life.

    i hope the transition goes smoothly for both of you, looking forward to hearing about all the spots of happiness to come!

    my heart is full of sunshine for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kattrina, I am so happy for you and Ivan. I think your angst is well founded as this adjustment is huge for both of you - for different reasons and on different levels. You must feel very special that Ivan loves you as much as he does and was willing to sign on for a big life changing adventure. He must feel just as loved when he feels the warmth from your family and your loyalty and love. Change is always difficult and I am of the mind that the level of difficulty and challenge is in direct proportion to its importance.

    Sending you both hugs and warm wishes. It's just going to get better and better (albeit a bit lumpy from time to time) -- just like your blog (nix the lumpy reference here).

    Lyn XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, i've totally missed reading your blog!

    I am glad you are with Ivan and it is good to hear that he is fitting in with the rest of the family.

    As for everything you are worrying about, don't stress out too much, all will fall into place naturally and organically. Love just tends to do those sorts of magical things! :)

    PS: I want a honduran style breakfast now, too! haha!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....