Tuesday, June 8

Day 98 of Happiness: Se Habla Espanol


One simple thing made me so happy today.  I found a doctor that speaks fluent Spanish.  You would think with all the Spanish-speaking people living in my community that there would be at least a few Spanish-speaking docs.  However, all the ones listed in my insurance directory weren't really fluent.  I'd call and ask and they would say they'd prefer to have me accompany him.  Well my hubs, although he loves me lots, doesn't really want me in the exam room translating.  Plus, my hubs never really listens to my medical advice anyway (like eating 2 Cup O'Noodles a day is going to give you high blood pressure) so I really felt like it would be better if the doctor could speak with him directly.  Without me there too.

So after scheduling him an appointment with a non Spanish-speaking doctor I finally located one that speaks Spanish.  And not just that, he's actually a native Spanish speaker. 

And after making an appointment with him and chatting with the receptionist - I felt so happy and relieved.  I remember going to the doctor numerous times in Honduras and trying to explain my medical problems to a doctor in Spanish...and how happy I was when the doctor spoke English.  It just seems so much better.  A doctor is such a personal thing and to not be able to communicate with him/her in an understandable fashion is a little uncomfortable. 

Spot of happiness: Spanish-speaking (or any language other than English really) doctors.

Another spot of happiness is that my hubs's permanent resident status has been approved!!!  Yeah!!!!  He's gonna get his green card in less than three weeks.  Whooppee!!!  Such a relief.  Now he's eligible to work.  And leave the country.  And go to Arizona!

Oh happy day, oh happy day!!!

p.s. i posted some more wedding pics on my other blog, Maple and Mud, if you're interested...

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you for finding the Spanish speaking doctor! And congratulations to your hubby for getting his permanent resident status!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is a relief to have found a doctor, I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! this is pleasing indeed :) we all need to feel comfortable with our doctors. and with Ivan's greencard on it's way, it sure seems like the happiness gods are smiling down on you two!

    by the way, i wanted to let you know that even though i'm not blogging on chapped lips and all anymore that i am keeping my blogger profile so i can stay in touch and keep following all my lovely blogger friends!

    i have started a new blog over at wordpress though. it's going to be different from what i was doing at chapped lips, and wordpress is a little wonky, but i'm gonna give it a go. i have linked your Spots of Happiness blog on my blogroll over there! if you ever want to stop by, it's http://spazberryjam.wordpress.com.

    :)Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. hurray for finding a doctor and for your hubys permenent residence :) good news all round!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....