Thursday, June 10

Day 99 of Happiness: Just Laugh at Yourself!


You know those days when things keep going wrong and you realize that you should have just stayed in bed?  Well, that is the type of day I had today.  Actually, it was really just a morning.  The day was too crazy/busy for me to think about much more than webinars, surveys, and proposal writing.

But back to the main event of I-wish-I-had-stayed-in-bed drama.  Don't worry, there's a spot of happiness in this story!

So, here I am sleeping on the bus like normal.  I have to get up really early and so sleeping on the bus in the morning is a regular occurance.  I was super happy because the bus wasn't too crowded this morning so I got to have the seat all to myself.  Now, since I have such a long commute I have a bag I bring to work everyday that contains my lunch, magazines, books, and other stuff to keep me busy.  Occassionally I drop something in there that I need to bring to work.  Today I had a bunch of documents for a proposal I was writing at work.

I decided to give my feet a bit more room and moved the bad to the seat next to me.  BAD IDEA.  Apparently we have a crazy driver.  I am aware of this because on any given day he makes sudden stops that practically give me whiplash.  Today was no exception.  There I am, snoozing away on the bus...the BAM! super sudden stop.  So sudden, in fact, my bag jumped ship!  Mind you, I'm still half asleep as I realize my bag has not only taken a leap off the seat, but the contents have been splattered all over the floor...and are quickly traveling under all the seats.  Yup, my water bottle made the trip all the way to the first row of the bus.

Let me tell you, I never thought there was anything really personal in this bag until the contents had been emptied in front of the ENTIRE bus.  Documents flying, books sliding 7 rows in front of me - just about everything took a swim, and a far one at that.  Someone holds up my water bottle asking if it belongs to anyone - me! - someone holds up my book and asks if it belongs to anyone - me! - someone hold up a little cloth cosmetic bag and asks if it belongs to anyone - me! (luckily I was smart enough to put all my feminie hygiene stuff in said cosmetic bag or else someone may have been asking - who lost a whole lot of TAMPONS!!) - and then, when I finally think I've recovered all of my possessions, the girl in front of me holds up a little piece of cardboard and says - is this yours too?  I quickly grab it as I identify it as my BC perscrpition.  Good thing I didn't have a VIAGRA perscription.  "Excuse me, is there someone named Kattrina who lost their VIAGRA perscription?"  How humiliating.

And admist all the humiliation, as I'm picking my junk up off the floor of the bus the driver makes ANOTHER sudden stop and my face smacks into the plastic handle in the seat in front of me.  Thank you Mr. Driver, just what I needed, a huge bruise right on my cheek.  You made my day!

So, how is this a spot of happiness?  I know, kinda hard to imagine.  Well, on the bus ride home I was the story of the moment.  Re-telling the story to the girls sitting next to me made us laugh, and I mean REALLY laugh, for a good 15 minutes - and soon other people around us were contributing and laughing as well.  We laughed so hard imagining what embarrassing things I COULD have been carrying in my bag and how it would have played out.  I haven't laughed so hard in who knows how long.  My belly muscles hurt!! 

Yup, it's a good thing I'm so great at laughing at myself and that I was too asleep to be any more than minorly embarrassed.  But future note to self - buy a bag that zippers shut!!!! 

Oh, and to make my morning even worse - I arrive at the office after about a mile walk from the bus stop only to realize that my pants zipper has been down THE ENTIRE TIME.  So not only did I flash everyone the entire contents of my bag on the bus, I decided to flash DC with my ugly underwear.  Just fabulous.  Add it to my morning please - and yes, I laughed about that on the bus with my bus friends too!!



NEVER FORGET TO LAUGH AT YOURSELF,
IT MAKES LIFE SO MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE!

2 comments:

  1. aww this post had me laughing the entire way though!!
    embarrassing moments always turn out to be great stories after :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bus ride! Definitely made me laugh though:) I hope you and your Catracho are ready for the big first game tomorrow! Jeo is SO excited and has his alarm set already. GO HONDURAS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....