Thursday, October 15

Day 19 of Happiness: The Beauty of Autumn

I am quite depressed right now.  
 It is only 47 degrees outside and it's raining.  Plus, I forgot my umbrella so had to walk the five blocks from the bus to the office with no defense against the elements.  How sad.  I had to put on a winter hat to walk the dog this morning at 5:30am.  I wore a scarf to work today (and have yet to take it off).  I wanted some gloves but refused to wear gloves before November.  Cold weather is not fun.  It does not make me happy.





So, in an effort to concentrate on happy things, I am going to think of 20 things about the autumn weather that make me smile.  When I get sad about the impending winter, I will re-read this list and be forced to smile.  So, here goes - autumn spots of happiness:

  1. The smell of autumn is such a great smell.
  2. Crunchy leaves on the sidewalk.
  3. Hot apple cider and hot cocoa.
  4. Fire in the fireplace, or the smell of other people with a fire in their fireplace.
  5. Football season - I'm actually not a fan of football, but my brother-in-law coaches high school football and so every Friday evening I head to the school to watch his team with my lovely sis and niece.  It is a nice tradition.
  6. Halloween candy - which I bought AHEAD OF TIME and am now worried that I will have eaten it all and there will be none to hand out to the kiddies that come to the house!!!
  7. Scarves.
  8. Not dying of heat when I go out for a run.
  9. Cuddling up under my bed covers.
  10. Thick flannel pants.
  11. Pumpkin things - pie, bread, cookies, jack-o-lanterns, etc.
  12. The idea of shopping for new fall clothes (this is never a reality though, I just wish I could have different wardrobes for every season).
  13. The new fall line-up of TV shows.
  14. Federal holidays like Columbus and Veteren's Day where I get off work.
  15. Marathon season (as in running).
  16. The color orange.
  17. Soup for dinner.
  18. Pumpkin-spiced lattes (that should maybe go in the pumpkin list above but oh well).
  19. The changing of the leaves - yes, this is different from crunchy leaves on the sidewalk.
  20. Thanksgiving and Christmas are just around the corner!!!
Autumn - you will not get the best of me!



2 comments:

  1. i woke up cursing the cold weather this morning...it was freezing in my house! so thank you for this little list, it made me realize why i really do love fall ;) have a great weekend dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime! I was glad I made the list too seeing as it is colder, wetter, and more miserable today than yesterday. The heat in my house had to be turned on which is just plain sad. However, I have a fun scarf on and I'm drinking yummy coffee and eating donuts - what more could I want! Have a fabulous weekend too and maybe the sun will come out!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....