Wednesday, October 28

Day 22 of Happiness: Pomegranate Joy

Well, today is a toughie.  It has been quite difficult to think of something happy that happened seeing as it was a pretty boring and normal day.  I hate those days.  Who wants normal and boring when you can have excitement, adventure, and thrill???  Who wants a day filled with looooong  meetings, too much computer time, rain and more rain, incredibly  long bus ride home (over TWO hours), and general disappointment in life?  However, seeing as my goal with this blog was to find SOMETHING happy about every day (or at least every day where I have time to blog), I must think of something.

So, my first spot of happiness surrounds the exotic fruit called the pomegranate.


Yes, it is actually quite popular these days, not so much as a fruit, but as a drink or tea or infusion of some sort.  Well, a couple of weeks ago I saw this delicious fruit at the grocery store (for $3, yikes!) and decided to buy it.  Every once in a while I get an urge for something different, so I buy it and it sits in the bottom drawer of the fridge and rots.  That is almost what happened to this pomegranate.  But, alas, I saved it from rot-ville.  But, I ate it, so I'm not sure if that is any better.  And it was good.  Actually, it was a tad bit difficult to eat and slightly messy (I think I may have stained the wall at work with pomegranate juice squirts), but sooooo worth it.  Prior to this eating extravaganza I had two memories of pomegranates.
  • Memory 1: When I lived in Italy as a little girl there was a pomegranate tree that grew next to our house.  I remember cracking them open and eating some of the seeds, but not being sure what it was (or whether you were supposte to eat the seeds). 
  • Memory 2: I was in Honduras visiting some other volunteers that lived in the mountains near me and they had a pomegranate tree in their backyard.  The woman, Hortensia, had cracked one open and taken the seeds out and set them on a cookie sheet.  I munched on them all night.
Pomegranates can bring such joy!

And my second spot of happiness is the start of the photo swap. 

Yeah!!!  I'm super excited about this and have been thinking about what I should take photos of.  I mean, I live in a great city with lots to document.  Plus, this time of year is filled with great holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving and the changing of leaves and my exciting trip to Ecuador.  So much to photograph, so little time.  

There we go - two spots of happiness even on a boring day.  
Success! 

5 comments:

  1. what a lovely blog you have!! So glad you visited me, because now I have stumbled into your beautiful blog!!!

    PS: pomegranates are PURE JOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paulina, that's so nice of you to say! Welcome, welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See - you did it! Your optimistic, positive side paid off and found more than one reason to be happy today. I love your attitude. And you and your blog are one reason for me to be happy too! Keep smiling Kattrina.

    Lyn
    PS I love American Idol too ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pomegranates - I have a few waiting for me at home. So glad you are excited about the photoswap :) eep

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lyn - you're so sweet. I'm glad that my blog makes you happy!

    Rhianne - a FEW pomegranates at home. Yum yum. And I'm super excited about the photo swap. I went running yesterday with my camera and took pics of my running route. People looked at me weird because I'd be running full speed, stop, snap a photo, and start running again! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....