When I first stumbled on the word literacy it was in the most unusual of places. I was in middle school and reading a romance novel. Yup, those books we all pretend we don't read but have hiding under our mattress. I don't remember which book it was, all I remember was that the main female character had been unable to read and write until adulthood. At the end of the book there was a section that talked about how a lot of adults in the U.S. couldn't read, many of whom had graduated from high school. There was mention about getting involved in the literacy movement by going to your local library and volunteering. As I was living in a foreign country, that wasn't a possibility, but the idea of being a literacy volunteer stayed with me.
In college I ended doing volunteer work at a literacy center (I wrote a blog entry about it but I'm tired and it's late so I don't have time to figure out how to link to it) and have been passionate about literacy every since. However, the center that I volunteered for was in the city and actually closed, so I haven't been volunteering for many years.
Well, some days I feel like I'm plowing through life focusing on just myself (or these days, myself and Ivan) and I've forgotten to stop and appreciate all that I have and all that I've been given. I've forgotten that part of being alive is actually participating in life. And sometimes I am just sad. And when I get sad, I want to help people and feel needed and important. So, since I've been feeling that way, I decided it was time for me to start volunteering. As it turns out, our library has a great literacy program and so I contacted them about the possibility of volunteering. This evening I went to meet Emma, the woman in charge, and to observe a pair (tutor and student) in action. I had been really excited all week and just being there made me feel better. I'm excited to get started and meet my student, but it may take a bit of time to match me up, etc. Hopefully it will turn out well and I'll make a new friend and give someone the opportunity that they haven't been given before: the gift of reading - a gift that I cherish with all of my heart.
On another (quick) note - something that made me smile a bit today. I think I might be eligible for another week of vacation!! Woo - hoo!!! I really hope so because this is the time I could REALLY use some extra days. With my fiance coming and us getting married, having only a few days of vacation is stressful. An extra week sure would help out.
Ok, it's late and I'm falling alseep so that's all for tonight. Good thing, right, cuz I was beginning to ramble.
Abrazos Everyone!!




No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments make me smile....