Sunday, May 23

Day 91 of Happiness: It's a Biscuit Making Mess

Let's just say, the weekend is always a spot of happiness.  Yesterday we had a Girl in Golf workshop with about 60 girls showing up to partake in fun golf activities.  I was quite happy.  We are trying to get a Girl in Golf Club starting with not just golf classes but also fun get-togethers like movie night and workshops, etc.  So many girls said they loved it - so it seemed pretty successful.  Can't show any pics though - since we didn't get waivers for the girls.  And they probably don't want to be broadcast all over my blog.

Another spot of happiness is mine and my mom's (anyone know if that's correct grammar?) cook-off.  For Mother's Day I bought my mom the cookbook that I had gotten for my birthday.  Each week we make a recipe from the book and then compare.  She got to pick the first recipe: Buttermilk Biscuits.  I think it's safe to say I'm not a good biscuit maker.  Here are the photos:


These were the cast of characters - not too many.



I felt like I did everything right - cut the shortening and butter into the flour mixture...


I'm thinking this was my mistake though - rolling the dough out too thin.



After I cooked the first 12, I realized that they might be too thin.
So for the second round I stacked two biscuits on top of each other.

As you can see above, this didn't work.
And my bicuits never rose.
Not sure why.
Although they taste ok, they are the exact opposite of the fluffy light biscuits in the picture.

Oh well, hopefully I'll do better with the next recipe...

Ok, I guess I better get changed for Couple's Golf.
Maybe I'll remember my camera and snap some shots.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!

4 comments:

  1. Recipes like that never work for me... I never know quite what I do wrong either! Main meals I can do no problem, but pastry, biscuits etc. are a nighmare! So frustrating!

    Have a good week :)

    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they look positively amazing! A cook-off sounds like a blast...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kattrina, good for you for taking the biscuits on! Next time they will be just perfect. I find with scones and biscuits that they have to be rolled kind of thick (at least and inch or so). But you know what? The double decker biscuits look yummy and you may have invented a new family recipe. I'd eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies - you make me feel less of a biscuit making failure. I told my mom that the next time we get together we'll have to practice - light and fluffy biscuit, you will not beat me!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....