Tuesday, May 18

Day 91 of Happiness: What's a little rain


Yes, you have seen correctly.  The picture above was from 2005.  However, I was searching for ANY picture I had with rain in it and apparently I don't take too many of them.  And now it's too dark outside for me to snap a photo of our rainy landscape.  So, it's a rainy landscape of La Esperanza, Honduras.  Honduras is always my go-to for photos.  And pretty much everything else. 

It's been a rainy mess here I must admit.  It's a bit hard to take after a few days of beautiful sunshine.  Mother Nature is really teasing us here.  However, I will not let a little rain get me down.  So on my walk to work today (in the rain) I made mental list of things I loved about the rain.  Here's what I came up with:

** I love the smell of wet pavement, especially the sidewalk.  It always reminds me of this time when I was tiny and living in Japan and I took a walk after the rain.  I smelled the sidewalk and it made me think of the poem Where the Sidewalk Ends.  And worms.  The way worms come out after the rain.  Everything is so fresh and I love it.

** Things are so much more cozy in the rain.  Even if it's warm out I still feel like cuddling with a good book and listening to the rain.  My parents' house in Vermont is great for this because they have a screened-in porch so you can feel like you're in the rain while staying dry.

** Green grass.  You can't have it without rain.  Around the middle of the summer after too many hot, dry days the grass goes a bit brown.  And brittle.  But presently it's beautifully green and wonderful.

** The calming sound of the pitter-patter of rain falling, anywhere.  The roof, the trees, in the car/bus, on my umbrella.  It's so calming, especially while I'm laying in my bed with the windows open.  I just really love it.

So you see Rain - don't feel sad.  I love you too. 

***************
And on a complete side note - Lee's song on American Idol just brought tears to my eyes.  It was truly beautiful.

Also, I just posted a few more wedding photos on Maple and Mud - check out the amazing wedding tree Shellbell from Chapped Lips and All made especially for me.

2 comments:

  1. i LOVE rainy days, i think more than sunny days! i mean, sunny days are great for when you have to be out and about. but i have always felt nostalgic about rain... you know like when you're a little kid, and you're in school, when it rains you stay inside for recess and play classroom games. i love that feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rainy days actually make me super happy. I love the smells and sounds:)

    And you lived in Japan??? WOW!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....