Saturday, May 1

Day 85 of Happiness: Hammocks are Amazing

The weekends are turning into days of business rather than days of relaxation, but for some reason I'm enjoying it.  I used to love relaxing and doing nothing all weekend long, usually exhausted from working and commuting all week.  However, now that the days are nicer (for the most part), hubs and I are running around all weekend and I'm loving it too.

First, here're some photos from our trip to DC.  Because my camera is practically the first model of digital cameras to come out, its flash is about as bright as a birthday candle.  So, these photos are kinda dark and the dinasours a bit hard to see - but you can get the idea.





In spite of our very busy day of birthday parties, grocery shopping, the driving range, hubs English class, and numerous other adventures, we managed to dig our our wooden chairs from the depths of the garage.  Our garage is like a black hole - you can keep putting more and more stuff in there and then you can never find it again.  However, hubs's favorite activity (haha) is moving everything from one side to the other to find one minuscule thing (like our bikes).  This weekend he was on a mission to find our Adirondack chairs, a little table, and our hammock. 

When we (or hubs) was staining the deck a few weekends ago, we also cleaned the patio below the deck.  It was kinda gross with mildew growing everywhere and we NEVER went out there, ever.  Now it's all clean though and since it's below the deck is always shaded.  So, I'd been bugging him to help me find the chairs so we could sit out there.

So, while I was washing up the dishes he was digging through the garage.  And lo and behold, an hour later, they had emerged.  So, we set them up, set the hammock up, and ate our lunch outside.  It was soooo nice!  One of the things I miss most about Honduras is how much time I spent outside.  Here in the US most people sit indoors because it's air conditioned and more pleasant.  Sometimes I think it's a shame though because you can't meet your neighbors from inside, and you can enjoy the sunshine on your face from inside.  It's such a great feeling sitting outside in the summer reading a book. 


So, we ate lunch and I zonked out on the hammock - another Honduran love.  I used to have a hammock in my house, in the middle of the living room.  Hondurans build their houses with hooks cemented into the frames to hang hammocks from - that's how important they are.  I love swaying in the hammock reading my book.  It was fabulous.  This hammock isn't quite the same and is a bit easier to fall out of, but I managed just fine!


What a very, very enjoyable Saturday.  It's always a spot of happiness when you can find a moment of peace amid chaos.  It makes it all the more special.  It's even better when that moment of peace is on a hammock, on the back patio, and you fall alseep!


2 comments:

  1. That's great! Hubby has been bugging me to go visit an uncle he has in jail because they make hammocks there and sale them very cheap. When my daughter was a baby my mother in law bought her a tiny hammock and hung it from our bedroom rafters lol I love how there is so much more time to relax here even if I do tend to get a liiiiiiiittle antsy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I miss Central America! I loved it for all the time spent outside getting to know neighbors, and of course, the hammocks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....