Sunday, July 18

Day 109 of Happiness: No bugs about it

I remember my first year living in Honduras having a problem with bugs.  It was the rainy season, meaning it rained EVERY day.  At first it was great.  A lot cooler, beautiful rainfalls, everything turning green - it was paradise.

Haha - what did I know!

I'm sitting in my little pink house, chilling out after a tough day, reading a book.


{my house in Yusguare}

Then I see a bug, wait, I see a few bugs.  So I get out my bug spray and spray them.  Then there are more bugs, and more and more and more and more.  It literally looks like this:


Actually, it's possible it looked worse.  It was the worst experience ever - there we SOOOO many bugs flying into my house all heading for the few lights that I had.  Since I was new to Honduras, I thought I could win the battle with some Raid.  Boy was I completely wrong.  They kept coming and coming and coming.  The main problem was that my house wasn't completely closed in.  There was about a foot from where my walls ended and the roof began.  It's suppose to keep your house cooler - which it does, but it also lets the bugs in (and the bats - but that's another story).  This experince totally freaked me out and I ended up turning off all the lights and hiding inside my mosquito net.  It continued for a few days and then stopped.  It was never as bad as it was that first year - but I won't ever forget my loss against the bugs.

So, how is this a spot of happiness you might wonder?  Well, it appears these crazy bugs exist in Maryland too.  They are attracted to the lights and after a few days of rain they are quite abundant.  However - they can't get in!  This makes me so immensely happy.  I can see them flying outside, flocking to the light and I can see them all dead on the front porch in the morning (not exactly sure what is killing them because we haven't sprayed or anything - maybe they just don't survive that long) - but they can't get in! 

Yup - it's that simple.  I'm reminded of my horror story my first year in Honduras and I'm so happy I have a house that's closed up.  It makes me smile.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you have turned bugs into something positive - I love your outlook on life, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I would survive in Honduras;) I hate bugs, I freak out just seeing a spider, but the worst thing is flying bugs when trying to sleep! So bugs not getting in is definitely a spot of happiness:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bugs ugh!!! We somehow end up losing the war against the bugs no matter how many nets we have up!!! I don't have too much problem with the bugs BUT the cockroaches on the other hand I am terrified lol Compared to Costa Rica they are like super fast in Honduras! Makes me shudder just thinking about them :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....