This was a busy weekend, it was. It feels like they are all busy these days though. Maybe because hubs goes stir-crazy if we sit around for more than two hours at a time! First we visited my nun-friend that I used to volunteer with in Baltimore. We headed to a Pennsylvania Dutch market north of Baltimore - it was a bit far but very yummy. Plus, it was really interesting to hubs because he's never seen or heard of the Amish so he was really confused about their attire. I actually had never seen an Amish person before either, and I must admit I was really intrigued. Hubs and I thought there were definite benefits to their lifestyle.
Our evening adventure, or mine should we say since hubs slept through the entire thing, was grilling some bratwurst. The farm I buy my milk from was selling bratwurst this week and I took a risk and bought a pound. I haven't had bratwurst since high school! So, I decided to grill them up - on our old-fashioned charcoal grill. I know, some of you may not even know what that is since gas grills are the way to go these days. We just haven't gotten around to saving money for one, plus, this charcoal grill works just fine so I'm determined to master it.
{my bratwurst hanging out on the grill}
{me, looking like the grilling pro!}
I wouldn't say I mastered it, but I did get the bratwurst cooked. I even toasted some tortillas. Dinner was quite tasty and hubs was impressed. He was even more impressed that I ran to the grocery store to buy a lighter (since after I set up all the brickets I realized that our lighter was out of kerosene) and came back and he was still sleeping and didn't notice.
Today was a golf day, like every Sunday, but I decided to skip Couples Golf. Minus the fact that it was a gazillion degrees out (102+), it looked like it was about to storm. Hubs decided to go and then came running home when the wind, thunder, lighting, and rain came blowing in! Glad I didn't go. I got to chat with my Mom on the phone instead!
Now I'm in the process of making Comfort Meatballs from the Pioneer Woman's cookbook. Remember how my sister bought the book for me and then I bought the book for my mom and we're making recipes together? Well, if you forgot, that's what we're doing. So, Comfort Meatballs and buttered noodles are on the menu for dinner tonight. I made some adjustments to the recipe though - it called for ground beef but I'm making it with ground turkey. A tad bit healthier amongst the massive amounts of oil!
Here's what it looked like to start with:
{the ingredients for the meatballs}
{the turkey with oatmeal, pepper, onion powder, and milk - looks gross!)
And here's what it looks like as it cooks in the oven:
{but now it looks tasty - and smells even better!}
I had taken a few photos of me cooking the meatballs on the skillet (my new cast iron skillet that I LOVE), but they turned out really horrible so I deleted them. I do not look cute while cooking apparently....
Oh, and all weekend I've been enjoying a few glasses of Umberto Fiore's Moscato d'Asti. It is VERY yummy if you like sparkling white wine - like I do. It's been keeping me very happy these past few days.
I also re-activated my gym pass and upgraded to Package Plan Plus which gives me access to the woman's only gym and special group fitness glasses. Hubs is SUPER excited to go to the gym so we are going to try and fit it in tomorrow - between work, walking the dog, cooking dinner, eating dinner, and sleeping. It looks like it's going to be an incredibly busy day!
Happy Monday to you!!








That's cool you and your mom are going through the recipes together! What a great idea! So weird to see the pic of your ingredients and everything is in English lol
ReplyDeleteThat was quite a few spots of happiness. I remember when we met Amish people while on vacation a few years back, I too was a bit intrigued. As for the charcoal grill, I believe thats the only way to have a bbq, I will never own a gas grill:) Those meatballs looks so yummy, they look kind of like some I make from a recipe found online, and the best thing about them... they are easy to make and the hubs loves them:)
ReplyDeleteThis post makes me so happy because brats and meatballs are two of my absolute favorites! You are such the domestic goddess! Feel free to send to Chicago:)
ReplyDelete