Tuesday, July 20

Day 110 of Happiness: Egg-strodinary Days

{via google}

Ah, yes.  These eggs look so innocent sitting here.  Like they could do no wrong.  I beg to differ.

As I left the house for work yesterday, to start what I had hoped would be a fabulous week, I discovered that someone had egged my car.  It was pretty unbelievable - nothing like that has ever happened in my neighborhood.  I was shocked, mad, frustrated, angry, etc. 

I couldn't think of one spot of happiness except something fake like - at least they only used two eggs and not 12 eggs.  Not really something to rejoice about.

To annoy me even more, as I was cooking dinner some punk kids came and rang the doorbell and ran off.  It were these punk kids that most likely egged my car, I just had no proof.  My husband saw the doorbell punks and saw the house they went into.  It's a new family that is renting a townhouse in the unit next to ours.  A few people have mentioned complaints about them already.  I can see why.

This was turning out to be a fantastic day.

Then, my spot announced itself.  That night I was in neighborhood watch mode.  I decided to sleep with the windows open so that I could hear if people were walking down the street - I figured egg-ers weren't going to be a quiet bunch.

As I'm folding clothes upstairs I hear people walking down the street, so I go and take a peep.  It's the two punks (probably 11 and 12 years old or so) and their dad walking the dog.  Well, as I continue folding clothes they make their way back.  I peep out again and see that the two kids have stopped in our driveway behind my brother's-in-law SUV.  Their dad hadn't passed by yet and was still down the street.  Anyway, the kids proceed to ring the doorbell of my neighbor and run off.  It was 10pm - a bit late to be harrassing people. 

I had had enough.  I raced downstairs to the kitchen as the father walked in front of my house.  I proceeded to yell out the window and ask if those were his sons who had walked by.  When he affirmed that they were, I politely asked him to please tell them to stop ringing the doorbells of neighborhood houses and running off - especially since it's late at night and we have a baby in the house.  The guy said he'd "deal" with it, whatever that meant.  Not sure he really cared, but my neighbor came out and started asking who was ringing doorbells, etc. and the father looked a bit chagrined.  Not sure if he's the kinda parent that will side with his kids or that will yell at them for harrassing people.  I didn't mention the egging since I didn't have any proof, but I will keep my eyes open.

So, although this wasn't a great day by any means, I felt good after mentioning something to the father.  I usually stay mute when situations like this come up - rather than saying anything.  However, it felt good standing up for myself and confronting the father on the inexcusable behavior of his children (seriously - if they are egging cars and ringing doorbells at the age of 11 I cringe to see what they'll be doing when they're 16 - slashing tires?). 

So, that's my spot of happiness - speaking up.

(I was a bit afraid that I'd find a dozen eggs on my car in the morning...the consequences of speaking up can sometimes be a bit of a problem)

4 comments:

  1. You go girl! I know what you mean I usually stay mute also, but when I finally speak up for myself I feel so much better:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you spoke up! I feel like parents can be so blind about their children's behavior sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's horrible! What brats :) I know exactly how you feel, and it's such a good thing you said something! Surprisingly enough coming from a family of seven kids I am so not patient with teenagers!!! I don't know if parents are blind these days or just in denial to the "doings" of their teens. Were you able to get the egg off your car?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solution (or, possibly, way to make it much worse): You and your housemates and neighbors get some water guns, ring their doorbell, and soak the crap out them when they answer. Fight fire with... well, water.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....