Wednesday, July 21
Day 111 of Happiness: Taking charge of my life
I am super happy today. I was talking with my co-worker about how I wanted to take classes towards nursing school but I hadn't signed up. Then I got back to my office and thought about it some more. Then I really thought about it.
And I came to this conclusion. No one was going to help me go to nursing school. No one was going to tell me it was ok or pay for the classes or make any accommadations for me. So, it's time I take my life in my own hands. I don't want to be one of those people that ten years down the line I still haven't attempted to make my dreams come true just because there wasn't time.
I mean, I've always gone for my dreams - college, graduate school, Peace Corps - can taking a few classes be that difficult???
So, after I got home from work and home from teaching golf classes - I REGISTERED FOR A NUTRITION CLASS!! To even apply to nursing school I have to take a bunch of pre-reqs since I didn't major in a science. They had a microbiology class that might have worked because it was from 7-10:30pm on Thurs and then Saturday morning - however, I have some traveling coming up for work and I was too nervous about having to miss a bunch of classes. This nutrition class is online - so I can do the work when I want. I have to admit, that as much as I love school I'm nervous about heading back. I haven't been in a classroom setting since 2004 - a good five years! Well, hopefully this nutrition class will prove to be a good starting point.
Or it'll prove that maybe nursing isn't the right thing for me and I have no brain for science. But at least I'll know. And at least I can say I tried rather than talking about it all the time and never doing it.
So, here's to taking a pro-active role in your life rather than a re-active role, or a non-active role!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




good for you! i really hope that as your course progresses you come to feel that you're on the right track, nothing feels better than that!
ReplyDeleteThat is fantastic! Way to just DO IT! No one else can make our dreams come true!
ReplyDeleteYay Kattrina! You are absolutely right - no one is going to make it happen. If you have a dream, go for it. If it turns out not to be what you wanted, it is your perogative to change course and navigate a new one. I love that you took the bull by the horns. You have thrown of the proverbial bow lines and left the dock. Who knows where you will go ... anywhere you CHOOSE!
ReplyDeleteHey Kattrina! I was so excited to read your news!!! That is really awesome! Do you know what school you want to go to yet? Word of advice just in case you haven't looked into programs, With all of your experience abroad and working with HIV as long as you get above a 3.5 GPA you could choose practically any school!!!This is my problem right now :( All the classes I took right after highschool lowered my GPA a lot so I have to take them over again to get into a program. All of the nursing schools in AZ require at least a 3.5, but the better ones at least a 3.8.
ReplyDelete