Wednesday, August 4

Day 118 of Happiness: You give, you get


One time, a few months ago, a woman sat next to me on the bus.  As we're heading home, we pass a Park and Ride (where commuters park and get on the bus) that the local bus stops at but the Express bus does not.  We were on the Express bus.

The woman gets a bit agitated and after about five minutes (when we pass another Park and Ride) she turns to me and asks if this is the local bus.  I tell her, no, this is the Express bus (the buses are exactly the same, just with different route numbers).  Apparently she wanted the local and her car was at the first Park and Ride we passed.  The only stop we make is the mall, which is about 20 minutes north of the Park and Ride.

To make the story short, she had no one who could pick her up (her husband was traveling and her sons were in college in FL) so I just drove her back.  It was WAAAAYYY outta my way - 20 minutes to the Park and Ride and another 30 minutes back to my house, but I felt so badly for her and I knew if it was me I would be praying that someone would do the same thing.

Plus, I didn't have any plans that night so it's not like she was making me late for anything.

Well, yesterday I was standing in line for the bus and when the bus came I realized I had TOTALLY forgotten to buy another bus pass and I had no money on me.  I realized this in the middle of a conversation with the woman in front of me (completely different woman from the woman above) and she said she had some extra rides left on her pass and she'd just get me.

Nicest thing EVER!!  I realized that maybe this was my karma for helping the other woman out.  I was so thankful because had she not spotted me I would have had to head to the ATM and miss the bus - thus having to wait another 40 minutes for the next bus to arrive.

Thank you for nice people!!!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I love hearing stories like the two you shared above. They really make me smile. :]

    You're so right. I think sometimes, we're so consumed with our own lives that we forget the joy we can find in helping others, without expecting anything back. Like, starting from high school, most people only volunteer to rack up hours and puff up their college applications... or when lending a dollar to someone, a lot of ppl expect it back...

    Thank you for this lovely reminder! .... to serve others without expecting any repayment!

    Hope you have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice people are the besttt
    so nice that you helped that lady, SO NICE
    and so nice that that lady helped you.
    yay for loveeee & kindness

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet of you - I totally believe in karma, and it looks like good things are headed your way!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile....