So, I was sitting on the bus wondering if I was going to have to skip posting because of my dreary day. To make the day even worse my hubster called me to tell me he wanted to quit the golf course (something about someone making him collect golf balls on the range while people were driving). I knew he wasn't serious because he has a tendency to overreact and then totally forget about it ten seconds later...however, I wasn't happy to hear about the golf ball situation. I sure don't want my hubster getting hit by a golf ball!
But, as I sat all tense on the bus getting more and more agitated by the girl behind me who was talking incessantly to EVERYONE in address book, I started listening to her conversation (well, it couldn't be helped, she was talking so loud I couldn't study!). After awhile it made me start to feel a bit better. It was apparently her first day of work and listening to her talk about how exciting it was to have her own desk and be able to drink office coffee made me smile (I, of course, am completely jaded about the working world now, although I can kinda remember how excited I was to have my first "real" job). She even seemed to think the commute was relaxing - I'd like to interview her two years from now and see what she thinks about the commute though...
After I got off the bus, the evening seemed to get a tad bit better. I came home, walked to doggie, and then started dinner. Since my sister's been away, I've cooked a few beef foods for hubsters because he complains about how much chicken we eat. On the menu tonight was BBQ Flank Steak sandwiches. No one was home when I got there (everyone else was still at work - definitely a change since I'm usually the LAST one home) so I cooked up the meat, made the BBQ sauce, whipped up a salad and just as I was chopping the last carrots "the boys" came home (hubster and brother-in-law). They were quite excited to see a big hunk of steak sitting on the counter. So, I divided the food onto two plates and fed them.
![]() |
| BBQ Flank Steak Sandwiches |
That's what our sandwiches looked like - minus the onions. None of the boys like onions and rather than listen to them complain, I left them out. I also left out a lot of the chipotle because my BIL doesn't really like spicy food too much. They still tasted quite yummy, without the onions or spiciness.
Now, I am feeling much better. I have a bit of studying to do and then I'm hitting the sack. With a belly full of flank steak (and one Oreo), I'm feeling pretty lethargic. Hopefully I'll find a bit more energy for tomorrow or this is going to be a LONG week!
Do you remember your first day of work? Were you as excited about everything as the girl on the bus was?
I remember the first day of my current job - I was one of the only people in the office because everyone was at a conference. I sat in my new office and read articles about farmworkers and health all day. Then my boss's secretary/assistant took me out to Potbelly's for lunch. I remember thinking - I can't afford lunch until I get my first paycheck! Haha! I was also taking the train to work - and arriving at 9:30am!! Now I'm there at 7:30am! How things change....




That sandwich looks delicious. There are some days that I am especially craving meat (which is pretty unusual for me, as I have such a sweet tooth), and today is one of them!
ReplyDeleteYour paragraph about the girl on the phone totally made me smile. It's nice to be reminded of the beginnings and such, isn't it? It kinda reminds me why I'm doing what I'm doing when things are getting monotonous.
I know there's way more to comment on, but who eats just one oreo?? ;-)
ReplyDeleteSometimes you just need to see a new perspective to set your head right. I loved that you shared this cause it caused me to take a little trip down memory lane to some of my first days in my "real job". Reminds you to appreciate the little things in life :) xo Cat
ReplyDelete