Today is World AIDS Day.
Although I work in HIV prevention every day,
on this particular day, I try to stop and think,
and really contemplate how HIV/AIDS has affected
me, my family, my friends, and the world.
And this is what I believe:
I believe in prevention.
I believe in condoms.
I believe in comprehensive sex education.
I believe in being faithful and protecting yourself and your family.
I believe we don't talk enough about HIV.
I believe we think we aren't at risk, our brothers and sisters aren't at risk, our children aren't at risk.
When really we are. And they are.
I believe there is a complacency growing that is making people believe AIDS isn't as bad as it was.
Ask someone who is HIV+ what they think.
I believe that no one deserves to become infected.
I believe we all have a moral obligation to do what we can to prevent more infections and provide treatment to those who need it.
I believe that we can all make a difference.
I believe that although we may not know it, we all know someone that is HIV+.
So, please do your part.
Talk to your friends and family about preventing HIV.
End the stigma surround the disease.
Support condom use - use condoms yourself.
Learn the facts.
Take the risk seriously.
And if you have children, make sure they know how to protect themselves at an early age.
Don't wait until it's too late.
Don't be ashamed to talk about sex.
Don't hate.
Love everyone.
HIV is 100% preventable, but it's still killing too many people...
and one day it might be you, or your sister, or your father, or your son.
And then what will you do?
Everyone has a right to live.




LOve this Kattrina! You nailed it ... EVERYONE has a right to live. I tried to spread the word as well. If we talk about AIDS more it will help dispel myths and bring light where there is darkness. I joined the fight for a day - one that you fight every day. Thank you!
ReplyDelete